About Me

My photo
I'm a California girl who from 2007-2008 studied abroad in Tokyo at Toyo University. 2008-2010 completed my B.A. Degree in Japanese at the University of Hawaii @ Manoa. I was hired on May 6th 2011 to become an Assistant Language Teacher with Interac Co., Ltd. After the events of 3/11 I wanted to do something to help Japan. I decided to start early with Interac and be placed in one of the prefectures most affected by the earthquake/tsunami. <3

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

ONE OK BUNNY vs the First Day

Today seems a very long time coming. Coming in one of the last groups of recovery teachers and being one of the few who didn't have to teach for over a month... had it's pluses (who wouldn't want to be paid for sitting around? Extra time for settling in!) and well it's minuses... like training after training... after training. Training started to get annoying for me because I am the type of person who opens a manual reads "flip the on switch" and throw the book aside in favor of pushing buttons to see what they do. During training you can try things out in front of others and get feedback but it's not the same as working with the kids. Or at least I don't think so! ^^;;;

Today was my first day and it was at my JHS. In spite of how things turned out before... I got a lot of info about my ES but heard nothing about my first day at my JHS. I did was I was supposed to do telling Interac a week before. I heard nothing. So last night after yet more training I went into the office to at least find out what time I should show up.

The scheduler quickly called the JHS and asked what was going on. We learned that today would be the opening ceremony so I would most likely give a speech and sit in the teacher's office for the rest of the day. I was so so so relieved and all the fear I was feeling about my first day was gone! Now that I knew what was going to happen and I could relax!

So today I headed out early to see where the bus would be for my trip to my ES tomorrow and to get to school around 8am. On my walk I came across a couple of my future students who said "Hello" to me. I made my way to the hill which my school sits on top of. I still hate this hill but today it seemed shorter then I thought lol

I arrived and walked up to a teacher welcoming students in and said I didn't know where to go. She took me in the teacher entrance, which is next to the students, and up to the teachers room. I met the principal and vice principal and was served iced coffee as I waited.

I was introduced to the teachers and made them laugh. I was told I would be saying something at the opening ceremony and met the English teachers for each year. The 1st year teacher helped me out a lot and stood by my side during the ceremony. He explained parts of the ceremony as well.

I got up and when I said Good Morning! the 100+ students replied lol I said in Japanese my name where i was from and said my Japanese wasn't good so switching to English, Let's try English! ok? and I heard the reply ok!

My school is currently readying itself for the sports day festival this weekend so most of the teachers were working with their students. I wrote most of the day in my notebook; working on a new novel.

Lunch was good! Some of the best Curry I've had! ^^ I am hoping that most of the school lunches will turn out as good.

After lunch I made the mistake of how i answered a question the vice-principal asked. He asked if I knew how to get to my ES. I answered "...yes?" This lead to the VP the P and a couple teachers looking at maps and buses for me. I feel the love in it but I feel bad for putting them out like that... and felt even worse when they called the ES @_@! But it reminds me what I love about Japanese culture! They all seemed to really want to help me figure out how to get to my ES.

I went home and yeah even though it's 9:30pm now as soon as I finish writing I am going to sleep!

Today was magical though! one of those moments when the universe seems to click and say hey you've been through bad stuff in life so hey here's one on me be happy! It's ok!
Butterflies and Dragonflies going about in the gym during the ceremony. My coworkers at the school seem amazing! It seemed that every time I left my desk there was a treat left on it. Random students walking by the open door to the teachers room seeing me and whispering hello. Watching the students prepare the games and dances for the sports festival...... it was all so magical!!

Tomorrow.... my first day at my ES and my first day teaching. Hope it's as magical as today!

No comments:

Post a Comment