About Me

My photo
I'm a California girl who from 2007-2008 studied abroad in Tokyo at Toyo University. 2008-2010 completed my B.A. Degree in Japanese at the University of Hawaii @ Manoa. I was hired on May 6th 2011 to become an Assistant Language Teacher with Interac Co., Ltd. After the events of 3/11 I wanted to do something to help Japan. I decided to start early with Interac and be placed in one of the prefectures most affected by the earthquake/tsunami. <3

Sunday, August 7, 2011

ONE OK BUNNY vs the Juo Matsuri



Today was the local Matsuri!

Even though I've studied Japanese culture there is still so much to learn about it! I have to say that today felt like some happy memories from my childhood.

Growing up the town I lived in was one of the few in the area that had a Independence Day Parade. I lived only a few blocks away from the parade route so within the blocks between me and the route was staging grounds. A block away was the horses and the block after that was the line of floats. I remember waking up early putting out chairs to save our spot then walking around and seeing everything. There was just something about being so close like that.

Today reminded me of that feeling! I walked out to take a look after applying for my concert tickets to go see ONE OK ROCK in November and saw things were still getting ready and people where really out yet. I also remembered that I needed lunch ^^;; So had a quick bite and checked again. I loved that! Going and coming back then heading out again.

Today was really hot! So after getting some footage of the shrine being moved and some girls dancing on the stage I went back to my apartment in fear of getting sunburned. I also poked my friend who wanted to check it out (sadly the one i talked about in the previous entry). She came over and as I got an update from her about things we cooled down in my ac'd room before heading out.

So what to know about a Matsuri!

First off Matsuri means festival! just in case you didn't know ^^;;

The man things to see at most matsuri is the shrine being carried along as well as the hanabi or fireworks at night. Sure there are some huge matsuri out there like the Gion Matsuri in Kyoto which is worth seeing! And I plan to find a way to weekend in Sapporo for the Snow Matsuri in February as well. But there are a ton of matsuri's happening all over because there is no set date for them. though July and August with Tanabata and Obon sees a lot of them.

Another point to matsuris are food! Lots of yummy japanese food like Yakisoba, Takoyaki, as well as one of my favorites Okonomiyaki! But the highlight of summer matsuri is shaved ice! ^^


There was a stage built and seemed throughout the day there were dancing and other shows going on. Some were hiphop dancing to popular songs and others were traditional Japanese dance complete with flutes and drums. I almost wished they had seats in some shade so i could enjoy it the whole time.

I was really excited to see one thing I've known to be popular with matsuri is Goldfish scooping. You get a hoop with thin rice paper and try to scoop the fish into a bowl and you keep what you get. It's harder then it looks I bet!

Something that seems rare in Japan is the added event of bird fishing at the Juo Matsuri. At the river they close off an area and set some torches/bond fires on the shore. Then set two cormorants and their handlers loose in the river to catch fish. It was amazing to see and next year I want to get a pic of the bird with the fish in it's mouth!

After that the lights on the bank were turned off and the fires put out and the hanabi started!

I really wanted to see Hanabi!! But I didn't want to deal with a million people or walk a few km to get somewhere to watch them;alone to boot! nope not feeling it!
so the local small hanabi outside my front door worked perfectly!

The local people are amazing and I really got a feel for who they were as group. The matsuri was more about local flavor then overall japanese flavor and i really enjoyed that.

When the hanabi started and there were about... 30second or a minute of solid fireworks and they stopped the old lady next to me joked that was it. lol I seriously lol'd. Then hearing the girls in front of me laugh and mock one of the fireworks for making a loud exciting noise then not being much visually. I just felt the local community.

Best day for far! ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment