About Me

My photo
I'm a California girl who from 2007-2008 studied abroad in Tokyo at Toyo University. 2008-2010 completed my B.A. Degree in Japanese at the University of Hawaii @ Manoa. I was hired on May 6th 2011 to become an Assistant Language Teacher with Interac Co., Ltd. After the events of 3/11 I wanted to do something to help Japan. I decided to start early with Interac and be placed in one of the prefectures most affected by the earthquake/tsunami. <3

Friday, February 24, 2012

ONE OK BUNNY vs the other ALT

I really neglect this blog! Sorry! Not that many people read it XD
I do post a lot on my vlog though lol This I did not feel as comfortable talking about that way and it is just easier to rant typing.

So how it started I guess... I love working with my 1st years! It is so fun... well usually. So a while back when I got sick I guess. The JTE for my 1st year invited the other alt to his house. Then it seems sometime since then the JTE went to the other alts house. Adding to that the ALT asked to see more (teach more) of the 1st years.

Result I am dropped from all 1st year classes.

Now not completely but what classes I had with them the other ALT was there too and it was very clear I was support and the other ALT was lead. The JTE stopped talking to me about changes in class content and whenever I asked do you want me or the other ALT to do something the answer was the other ALT.

Now the 2nd years... well I love the teacher but the second years are really your classic human tape record teaching. I only read words and dialogue and sometimes i don't even do that when the JTE plays a CD instead. >_<

So the shame and confusion in all of this that this other ALT is not being renewed. Sure I have yet to hear but I haven't heard bad news yet either. I am more out going and animated in class though... so I wonder did I do something wrong?

Oh right and the kicker sending me to the edge before today? We have a sub ALT with us for a few weeks to make up English hours at my school. He is to be with me.. in second year classes... so meaning I really have no work! And when asking the second year teacher if she wanted me or the sub alt to do the flash cards.... the JTE told me to tell the sub how to do it *dies*

Today it came to a head... this whole thing just kept making me feel worse and worse.


A recruiter for the UK section of Interac came to watch the other ALT ( the ALT is from the UK) in class. Not even being renewed but being shown off?? what?

Now understandably so the other ALT is not too thrilled with the new work load and focus since there are only 4 weeks left for them anyway. Everyone knows that feeling when the job is coming to an end you don't want to do anything XD

I did a warm up and it went over really well and the kids loved it. Even got great feedback from the JTE and asked about leveling it up. So I did it first period but passed on it second period because the other ALT was asked to do something. There was a reading test of reading aloud from the text to the ALTs and the other ALT was asked to give an example of good and bad reading.

I really wish I did my warm up cause the branch manager came with the UK Rep.... the branch manager even came up after saying she didn't know I would be there or she would have told me she was coming. >_< FORGOTTEN!

So the next class we had I wanted to do my warm up again. Going great as usual but then it came for me to check the answers and do a little repeat after me... the JTE asked the other ALT to check the answers........................

............................
.................................


Yup! straw that broke me!
When the student rep from the 3rd year class I was going to eat lunch with didn't know my name or who she was going to get for lunch I almost started crying right there. Granted I don't teach the 3rd years at all but still just bad.


Lunch did end up cheering me up a bit thankfully. ^^;;


The last class we had today (all classes we had were the three of us JTE, me, other alt) It was going so bad with the other ALT so I kept giving help and kicking myself. Like telling the other alt that they look really sleepy so do the activity with them standing up.

This week is over now and it will be another week before the sub alt comes back for a couple weeks.

ok I think just ranting about it helps lol The other ALT knows how much this is bothering me and when I said I was sorry for complaining cause well here I am still with a job and they were fired you know. They said it was ok cause it sucks for me too.

Oh well it's friday I can relax for the weekend and be fresh on Monday. And if there is another drinking night with the JTE this weekend maybe the other ALT will tell him what's going on XD well at least that they aren't renewed or something saaa

No comments:

Post a Comment