About Me

My photo
I'm a California girl who from 2007-2008 studied abroad in Tokyo at Toyo University. 2008-2010 completed my B.A. Degree in Japanese at the University of Hawaii @ Manoa. I was hired on May 6th 2011 to become an Assistant Language Teacher with Interac Co., Ltd. After the events of 3/11 I wanted to do something to help Japan. I decided to start early with Interac and be placed in one of the prefectures most affected by the earthquake/tsunami. <3

Friday, September 2, 2011

ONE OK BUNNY vs the First Week

It is Friday and all I can say is TGIF! The last few days I felt like I haven't gotten a lot of sleep. I am someone who needs to wake up a bit in the morning before doing anything so leaving the house at 7:20 to catch my bus means getting up at 5: 30 am or so. In the morning I've been feeling feverish and thankfully by the time I got to school I felt better but once back at home I start feeling feverish again. Even now still feeling a little off.

My time at my Elementary school was so much better then the day before! I liked the lesson well except for the chant I had to do... the kids aren't really feeling it... don't blame them but the rest of the lesson went well ^^ I seem to be getting over the "OMG I don't know what I'm doing and they are going to kill me!" phase faster then I thought ^^

Though never assume anything when teaching! I had a script to read and CD to play and I assumed that the teacher would give those/bring those to my English room. Nope! Thankfully I had memorized the script but not the answers... ok it was a self introduction and the character says they like one of the items and the students draw a line from the person to what they liked. So with the first group I improv'd the answers but it turned out I had them right! ^_^ V

The kids were shy and had to get in groups to come up with questions to ask me. All asked when my birthday was and I answered today! lol I love the slower recognition when translating in their minds. Today? Kyo? Kyo desho!? And I got a 'happy birthday!' and claps ^^ They are amazing!

When meeting new people and things of the like I am usually quiet and sit back and listen more than I talk. It sadly is the same with the students as well yesterday having lunch with the students I didn't say anything but laughed and enjoyed listening them talk about what animal, fruit they were. ^^;

Best part of the day was standing at the bus stop and a car drove by and two of my students were in the back and hear the shock when they saw me outside of class and telling their mom I was the new teacher ^^

I now know that when parents tell their kids they don't have a favorite child it's a lie lol I can see there are some kids I am looking forward to seeing again and some because of their name will just get called on more lol.

Seriously though there is one 6th year student that looks like he is a Johnny Jr.... maybe he is! He is going to be trouble so I got to win him over fast! ^^;;

Today I was back at my JHS I love love love the teachers at the school! I sit next to the vice principal and he is so amazing! So I spent the day mostly at my desk working on a story. The students were in full practice for sports day. I felt more comfortable heading out around the school to watch them. Still from afar ^^;; I am new so I would be too distracting to them. I stood on the balcony outside the teachers room to watch a relay-race and I got spotted and a few of them started waving and saying hello!

I ended up helping Super Vice Principal who had so much going on today. I was happy to help lol I had a feeling I was a little late today having not heard anything from the school or interac about starting time. I had a conversation with the super vp about it and he let me know when he thought would be a good time to show up ^^ I know the schools shouldn't give you orders but getting on the same page about when to show up when you haven't heard anything isn't a bad idea .

There was a meeting at the end of lunch to talk about the Typhoon coming in and how it will most likely cancel tomorrows sports day. Very sad the students have been working so hard! I hope it means it's next weekend if it gets canceled.

My first week was amazing! Can't wait for next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment