About Me

My photo
I'm a California girl who from 2007-2008 studied abroad in Tokyo at Toyo University. 2008-2010 completed my B.A. Degree in Japanese at the University of Hawaii @ Manoa. I was hired on May 6th 2011 to become an Assistant Language Teacher with Interac Co., Ltd. After the events of 3/11 I wanted to do something to help Japan. I decided to start early with Interac and be placed in one of the prefectures most affected by the earthquake/tsunami. <3

Friday, September 16, 2011

ONE OK BUNNY vs the first worst day


This was my first full week since I started teaching. Once I finally got my JHS schedule for the week on Monday I was worried about Friday since I had 5 classes. Up until today I have been teaching at most 4 classes in a day... I would say that might be normal since most school years only have 4 different classes. I had my first couple of classes with the 2nd year students at my JHS. After a quick introduction I took half the class for English speaking tests. It was basically their self introduction to me. I really wish I had an amazing memory that would remember all 30 or so students that introduced themselves to me. After one class of that I had break.

In the teachers room working on my coffee the first year teacher comes up to ask about today's plan. On my schedule I had oral intro and interview activity. I assumed the intro would be changing the books dialogue a bit so I didn't think of anything of it. The interview activity was something that i would assist with by reading the dialogue and going out and asking students. Nope! I was to come up with a script for the opening dialogue as a warm up and an interview activity. O_O!

I was so used to my ES laying out every step for me and just being a human tape recorder with the JHS I don't even think of needing to come up with something! He seemed to think that was ok for the day and said he had ideas and things set.... he had print outs of the interview activity for all 3 classes so i don't know what he wanted really. He said to watch and not take part in class.

So after another round of speaking tests with the 2nd years I had my first class of 1st years of the day.

I really did nothing the first lesson... I felt like I was being punished! He read out the dialogue and everything and I was only asked to walk around to check work or to help with the interviewing. ugh it felt like time out lol. By the end of the class I was really dizzy and returned to the staff room shaking a bit. I had some water and hoped the class I was to have lunch forgot about me. The class I was to eat with was the first year English teacher's class as well so I wanted to try my best with talking with the students but in my state that wasn't going to happen.

They came for me and I went and ate lunch in the classroom and didn't speak. In schools here there is a set time for the kids to eat so once time is up they clean up finished or not and brush their teeth. So when it finished I went back to the staff room feeling a little better.

Lunch break finished and I headed for class 5 minutes before it started and when I got to the classroom I noticed the teacher had already started class. I walked up to the door and looked at the clock sure enough it was still 3 minutes before class was to start and he was already going. When he finished the warm up activity he talked to me and I asked if I was late and said I was sorry. He said class started at 50 not 55... i swear it starts at 55! ^^;;; He said it wasn't that big a deal and told me he wanted me to read the dialogue.

After that it was fun again! ^^ The kids seemed more brave to come up to me with their interview sheet as well. Needless to say I checked what I need to have prepared on Tuesday! lol

I think the biggest brainstorm is how to make the reading assignment more interesting and fun. Right now I read and have them repeat word by word then sentence by sentence. a little boring ne

So far my worst day at work... mainly because I messed up (not prepared and seemingly late to class) It wasn't that bad so I hope it stays the worst... but as you see by the title.. not a lot of hope for that lol

No comments:

Post a Comment