About Me

My photo
I'm a California girl who from 2007-2008 studied abroad in Tokyo at Toyo University. 2008-2010 completed my B.A. Degree in Japanese at the University of Hawaii @ Manoa. I was hired on May 6th 2011 to become an Assistant Language Teacher with Interac Co., Ltd. After the events of 3/11 I wanted to do something to help Japan. I decided to start early with Interac and be placed in one of the prefectures most affected by the earthquake/tsunami. <3

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Starting in June!?


Ok so today I learned that I did not get the ideal summer job I wanted. This changes plans. I did two things.
1. my friend who said she'd give my resume to her summer school program at work. I have not hear anything more after that so I messaged her again ^^;

2. Emailed Interac about the signing bonus for starting before June 19th.

It's starting to look like starting in June would work money wise especially with these incentives.

Interac offers the following incentives for people willing to go anywhere in Japan and start before June 19th, 2011:

1. Signing bonus of JPY100,000 (paid with first salary)
2. Round-trip airfare
3. Start-up accommodation assistance - Key and deposit money up to JPY250,000
4. Monthly rent assistance up to JPY75,000 (depending on contract)
5. Monthly salaries from JPY90,000 (plus free accommodation, reimbursed airfare, signing bonus) to JPY250,000 (plus signing bonus, start up accommodation assistance)


Well the only problem is that I hear that the training will start on June 13th and right now that is the set date for my driving test so... no driving licence. I did make it clear in my email that I would not be able to take a placement where driving is required.

What makes me think this might stop all ideas of me leaving in June is this on their postings about the bonuses.

"Driving will be required for some positions, a valid Japanese or International Drivers' Permit is highly desirable."

I like that it says "some" but we'll see. It's already 2 in the afternoon in Japan and haven't gotten a reply from the Tokyo office at all.


The good about leaving:

  • My retail days are numbered.
  • Starting my new life even sooner.
  • My brother wouldn't have to worry about any saving to help me.
  • I would get to be near areas affected by 3/11 and help in getting life back to normal.
  • I would get to most likely live in Yukiguni! ^-^!
The bad:
  • I would have 4 weeks to pack my life up and get all visa things taken care of.
  • Maybe placed where I don't need a car but an 1hr bike ride will get me to a school.
  • Most likely will have to drop out as a bridesmaid in my friends wedding.
  • Won't get my driver's licence in the US
The more I look into it and think more on it the more I want to leave in a few weeks! Since I'm working part time I can work and pack my life in a few weeks. The bike ride would suck with rain heat or snow but it won't kill me and a good way to get in shape. And with the signing bonus I might just be able to come back in August. Have my friend send me the dress and I'll get it altered in Japan some how. And driving... well I'm not going to make the 90 day deadline for having a licence in the US before leaving so I would have to do driver's training in Japan anyways.

I can't fully plan or anything until I hear back from Interac.... my fingers are crossed though!

No comments:

Post a Comment